I think that given the right circumstances, pretty much any social media type could be used for either business or personal use. That doesn't mean that every type is appropriate for every business, but it just depends on what and how you want to communicate.
One of the ideas that I read in the text is that we need to think about marketing on social media in a different way than we normally think about marketing. It's not about shouting 'WE'RE HERE', but instead of using the various media types to create interesting content that will draw people to your website. So, out of their interest the COME to you, you don't need to find them. I personally think this is brilliant and turned on a light bulb in my mind. I'm really not a sales type of person, but if someone is interested and can benefit from what you have, then your are really just sharing what you have.
So, my thing is trying to get the word out about our online church service. If I could come up with some awesome prayer cards by using photos and verses and make them available through Pinterest, then maybe someone who wants something like that would find my page and be able to benefit from that work. If we have some original songs that we write (wouldn't want to infringe on copyrights), then I could create some You Tube videos that would allow someone to watch our worship. If I want to do an online Bible Study, then Facebook would be a good choice. If I wanted to just sent a quick blip that our Online Service is starting, then maybe a Twitter shout out would be in order.
Now not every business would want to send a Twitter feed, and not every business will have a video, but I think that's what's so cool about this. There's no boundaries or limits. You need to use your creativity to think of ways to help people so that they can then decide if they want to know more about what you're doing.
I appreciated your post in connecting the topic with your own personal uses in relation to your church service. I think you've made a great conclusion in that not every business is going to have every single social media application out there but just the ones that are relevant to them and will reach their specific target audience. I think for business its more about finding an app that will better enhance or promote their services while connecting with their customers on a personal level.
ReplyDelete