Sunday, March 29, 2015

Week 7 Part 2 - Similar Businesses using social media

As a followup to the previous blog for week 7, we are tasked with finding other businesses that are similar to ours so we can look at how they are using social media.  I spent an hour or so looking at businesses across the country that sew custom BBQ covers, but I could only find 1 that used any social media besides Facebook. The company is BBQ Smokers and More. Their website is http://www.bbq-smokersandmore.com/Custom-covers .   They are using Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google Plus.

This company is also selling dry rubs and BBQ sauces, which is a great idea to keep people coming back to their website. Those same people would be interested in getting a cover for their grill, so it's a great fit, and something for us to think about.

They are using Twitter to basically send short little blasts reminding people to clean their grill, prepare it for winter and send out special coupons. They have about 300 people following them on Twitter.

They are using Pinterest to promote their dry rubs, BBQ Sauces and other grilling utensils that they market. Additionally they have a gallery for skewer ideas, along with the custom covers. I think they've done a great job of bringing together various items that would interest many people. They have a total of 9 boards with 59 people following.  It's not huge, but it's something.

Their Facebook and Google Plus pages are really the same. They have 1160 likes on Facebook and 27 followers on Google Plus.

Looking at this page has given me more ideas than I had before. I think in social media it's all about creativity. The more creative you are the more you can post on various media.

I still have concerns about the return on investment for a small business like ours, though. I'm not sure whether the investment in time and resources would benefit the business enough to justify the investment.




No comments:

Post a Comment