Sunday, March 29, 2015

Week 7 - Using social Media for Business

This week we are looking at using various social media types to promote our business. Originally my business was New Song Online Church.  For this application I can think of a number of things we could do with Social Media because there is ALWAYS something happening at New Song. Here's some examples:

  • YouTube or Vimeo
    • Videos of original worship songs performed by our worship team
    • Videos of service projects that are worked on by our members
    • Videos of a pastor's interpretation of scripture
    • ... the list goes on.
  • Pinterest
    • Creation of Scripture Cards
    • Photos of God's creation
  • Instagram
    • Pictures and videos from many of the events that are held around the church
  • Tumblr
    • Blog posts from the pastors
Actually, our New Song website does already have links to YouTube, Vimeo and Instagram, and many of these things are already being done. 

Because of that, I've had to switch my focus to our small family business, where my husband sews custom covers for things. I can imagine a limited set of things that we could use social media for, but my concern is the effort necessary to create constant content. We could definitely add content in the form of pictures on Facebook and Instagram, but the effort to create quality videos goes beyond our expertise and ability to spend the amount of time needed to keep these up to date. We could maybe do some BBQ recipes on Pinterest, but again, I'm concerned with the amount of time required to keep these things up to date. 

Based on these observations, it seems like social media is well-suited for large, active organizations that have new things happening often. I'm wondering how effective it will be for a small home based business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment